Can You Buy Alcohol With Food Stamps? [Learn The Facts]
Like any other governmentally issued benefit, food stamps (now known as SNAP benefits) come with rules and regulations.
Food stamps are given to eligible low-income American families, and they’re designed to supplement a household’s diet. The point of food stamps is to buy, well, food.
If you’re a SNAP recipient, you may wonder about “gray” areas – groceries that are still essential but aren’t food. For example, can you buy alcohol and similar products with food stamps? Let’s find out.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table of Contents:
- Can You Buy Alcohol With Food Stamps?
- What Can You Buy with EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy with EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Alcohol With Food Stamps?
No, you can’t buy alcohol with food stamps. Food stamps, also known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), are strictly designed to pay for a household’s food. Alcohol is a non-essential item and isn’t covered by any of your benefit money.
If stores allow you to buy alcohol with your food stamps, they risk losing their license to participate in the EBT program, as well as risking a possible fine.
However, you can buy alcohol along with your weekly shop – so long as you pay for it out of your own money. Some stores allow you to make multiple payments on one load of shopping, meaning that you can use your food stamps money to pay for your food, and your own money to pay for any non-food groceries.
What Can You Buy With EBT?
EBT, which is mostly used for SNAP benefits, is designed to pay for food and ingredients that can be taken home and prepared.
So, here’s what you can buy with EBT/SNAP benefits:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, and seafood
- Bread, grains, and cereal
- Dairy products
- Snack foods
- Nuts, beans, and legumes
- Seeds (for growing food at home)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
If you’re not sure whether an item is approved under your SNAP benefits, call the customer service number on the back of your EBT card.
What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
Not everything is approved for buy with your EBT balance. If you try and buy something unapproved, your EBT card will likely decline. Even if the transfer goes through, you’ll likely have to pay for the item yourself later.
Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT/SNAP benefits:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco products
- Gambling/lottery tickets
- Clothes, furniture, or home decor
- Medicines, supplements, and vitamins
- Pet food
- Hot food, pre-prepared food, fast food, or other restaurant food
- Household supplies (this includes cleaning products and paper goods)
- Personal hygiene and sanitary items (this includes shampoo, soap, sanitary pads, and more)
Once again, if you’re not sure about an item you’d like to buy, call the customer service number on the back of your EBT card.
The Bottom Line
So long as you’re focused on buying delicious, nutritious food for yourself and your family (and not cigarettes or alcohol), you’re unlikely to try and buy the wrong thing. Most groceries fall pretty neatly into food and non-food categories.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!