Does Costco REALLY Take Food Stamps [Just The Facts]
Is there anything more embarrassing than having your card declined after the cashier rings up your shopping cart full of groceries?
For families who use SNAP benefits (food stamps), there can be a niggling worry that the store won’t accept your EBT card.
Costco is a firm favorite for shoppers. With a wide variety of products and reasonable prices, you can easily pick up your whole week’s shopping at Costco.
So, does Costco accept food stamps? If so, what can you buy? More importantly, what can’t you buy?
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table of Contents
- Does Costco Accept Food Stamps?
- What Can I Buy at Costco with EBT?
- What Can’t I Buy at Costco with EBT?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Need Burial Insurance?
Does Costco Accept Food Stamps?
Yes, Costco does accept food stamps and EBT cards. However, you likely won’t be able to use your EBT card at Costco.com, or any Costco gas stations or car washes.
So, while you can shop in-store, you can’t buy from Costco online with your EBT card. You also won’t be able to use your EBT card in the food course, since food stamps aren’t designed to cover hot food or food prepared to be eaten immediately (like restaurants).
What Can I Buy At Costco With EBT?
Costco follows the state guidelines for what you can and can’t buy with food stamps and EBT cards.
Here’s what you can buy at Costco with an EBT card:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, and fish
- Cereals and grains
- Nuts and seeds
- Snack foods (like candy, ice cream, and chips)
Essentially, food stamps are designed to provide food for you and your household. While this includes less nutritious food like chips and ice cream, it’s up to you to decide what to buy to best feed yourself and your family.
What Can’t I Buy At Costco With EBT?
Unfortunately, EBT will only cover food. Non-food groceries, even essential household supplies, aren’t covered by your food stamps.
Here’s what you can’t buy at Costco with an EBT card:
- Household supplies and paper goods
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet food
- Hygiene and grooming products (like soaps, razors, shampoo, toothpaste, etc)
- Hot food, or food designed to be consumed in-store
- Tobacco products
- Lottery tickets/gambling
- Other non-food products
It’s important to make sure you’re not buying unapproved products. Your EBT card could be declined, or you’ll have to pay for the items later.
Frequently Asked Questions
Using your EBT card at Costco should be just as straightforward as using it in any other major store. Let’s briefly discuss a few commonly asked questions about using food stamps in Costco.
Can I use my EBT card at Costco’s self-checkout?
If you prefer to use the self-checkout option at stores, you can still use your EBT card in Costco.
Can I shop in Costco with only my EBT card?
You can browse in Costco without a membership card, but you won’t be able to buy anything. You’ll need to use your membership card alongside your EBT card.
Costco is a great shop to pick up everything you need in one go. It can be a little tricker than some other shops when it comes to using EBT, but the price reductions can be worth it.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!