Can You Buy Ice With Food Stamps? [Learn The Facts]
Learning how to use food stamps, now known as SNAP benefits (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) can be tricky. Food stamps are meant to buy food groceries for a household, but there are lots of items that can leave shoppers unsure.
Ice is one of those items. Is it classed as food, and will it be covered by SNAP benefits? Let’s find out.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table Of Contents:
- Can You Buy Ice with Food Stamps?
- What Can You Buy with EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy with EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Ice With Food Stamps?
The simple answer here is yes, you can use your food stamps to buy ice. Surprisingly, a lot of snack food is covered by SNAP benefits, like ice cream, chips, and some energy drinks.
Types Of Ice You Can Buy
Essentially, you can buy ice in just about any form. This might include:
- A single block of ice
- A bag of crushed ice, or ice divided into cubes
- Ice cream
- Frozen yogurt
This is because ice is technically classed as a “food” item. So, it’s covered by your SNAP benefits.
What Can You Buy With EBT?
EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfers) is designed to provide nutrition to low-income American families. It’s most commonly used for SNAP benefits, or P EBT (Pandemic EBT).
Most whole foods and ingredients are included in the approved foods list. With your food stamps, you can buy products like:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, fish, and some seafood (nothing pre-prepared)
- Dairy products
- Snack foods
- Baking ingredients (flour, sugar, etc)
- Nuts, beans, and legumes
- Seeds (for planting and growing food at home)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
The point of food stamps is to buy ingredients to cook food at home. You can decide what to spend your food stamps on.
What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
Since EBT is designed to pay for food, it’s no great leap to work out that non-food groceries aren’t allowed. Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT:
- Household supplies
- Cleaning products
- Paper goods
- Hygiene and grooming items (such as soaps, shampoos, etc)
- Sanitary products
- Pet food
- Medicines, vitamins, and supplements
- Fast food or restaurant food
- Hot food, designed to be eaten immediately (such as rotisserie chickens)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco products
Some of these products are self-explanatory. Of course, you can’t use your food stamps to buy alcohol or tobacco. However, you also won’t be able to use your food stamps to buy household supplies.
While these supplies are essential, they aren’t food, and unfortunately aren’t covered by your EBT benefits.
You can use your EBT card for grocery delivery services, but you’ll have to use your own money to pay for any delivery fees or tips.
The Bottom Line
Most grocery items are more clear-cut than ice. Your weekly shopping will likely be neatly split into two categories: food and non-food groceries.
Some stores allow you to make multiple payments on one load of shopping, meaning that you can use your EBT card to buy food and your own money for any non-food supplies.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!