Nothing is ever straightforward, is it? Unfortunately, governmentally issued benefits (like EBT and food stamps) are no exception. There are rules and regulations as to what you can and can’t buy, and it’s important to follow these rules.
For example, food stamps money is only suitable for buying food groceries. However, what about gray areas, like coffee? Let’s discuss whether or not you can buy coffee with food stamps, as well as what you can buy with EBT.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table Of Contents:
- Can You Buy Coffee With Food Stamps?
- What Can You Buy With EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Coffee With Food Stamps?
Can you buy coffee with food stamps? Well, yes and no. You can’t buy hot food and drinks with EBT, so pre-made hot coffee is out of the question.
However, you can buy some forms of coffee with food stamps money:
- Instant, prepackaged coffee
- Coffee beans (to grind and prepare at home)
- Iced coffee (in some states – not every state allows you to buy an iced coffee. Check with your provider first.)
Essentially, you can buy coffee that requires you to prepare it at home, so instant coffee is fine.
What Can You Buy With EBT?
EBT, or Electronic Benefits Transfer, is an umbrella term for all electronically issued benefits. It’s mostly used to receive SNAP benefits, also known as food stamps.
You can use EBT to buy food groceries for yourself and your household.
Here’s what you can buy with EBT:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat and poultry
- Fish and seafood
- Bread, cereals, and grains
- Nuts, beans, legumes, etc
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Snack foods (like ice cream, chips, candy, etc)
EBT is designed for you to buy ingredients to prepare food at home. It’s up to you what you buy with your benefits, and any unused benefits will roll on to the next month.
What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
EBT is designed for food groceries only, so anything which isn’t classed as food is not covered by your food stamps benefits.
Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT:
- Household supplies (like paper goods and cleaning products)
- Personal hygiene and grooming products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Gambling/lottery tickets
- Tobacco products
- Furniture, clothing, cosmetics, and other personal items
- Hot, preprepared food and drinks (like rotisserie chickens and hot coffee)
- Vitamins, supplements, or medicines
As you can see, some non-food items (like personal hygiene products and cleaning supplies) are still essential household goods. Unfortunately, these items are not covered by EBT and food stamps benefits.
Most stores allow shoppers to make multiple payments on one load of shopping, so you can pay for non-food groceries out of your own money, and use your food stamps benefits to pay for food groceries.
The Bottom Line
While Starbucks might be out of the question on your food stamps benefits, you can still buy raw coffee beans and instant coffee, to make yourself a hot drink at home. If you have any questions about what you can and can’t buy, call the customer service number on the back of your EBT card.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!