Food stamps aren’t only designed to buy vegetables and bread. You can buy plenty of luxury items with your food benefits, including ice cream, chips, and non-alcoholic beverages.
What about soda and energy drinks? Some may argue that since soda has absolutely no nutritional value, it shouldn’t be something you can buy with EBT.
So, can you buy soda with food stamps? What can’t you buy with EBT? Let’s find out.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table of Contents:
- Can You Buy Soda With Food stamps?
- What Can You Buy With EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Soda With Food Stamps?
Yes, you can buy soda with food stamps. However, not every kind of soda and energy drink is suitable.
While most mainstream types of soda are suitable to buy with food stamps, you can’t buy soft drinks that fall under the category of supplements.
To tell whether a drink is classed as a supplement, check the back label. If the drink has a “nutritional facts” label, it’s fine to buy with food stamps. However, if your drink has a “supplements facts” label, it’s classed as a supplement and isn’t suitable to buy with food stamps.
What Can You Buy With EBT?
EBT, or Electronic Benefits Transfer, is a way of receiving electronic benefits, such as food stamps. To use your EBT balance, you’ll be given a plastic card to use at stores and online.
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, and fish
- Dairy products
- Bread, cereals, and grains
- Nuts and beans
- Snack foods (including ice cream, chips, soda, etc)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
You can’t overspend your EBT balance – once you run out of money in your account, you can’t buy anything else. However, any unused money will roll on to the next month, and you’ll have a little extra to spend.
What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
EBT is only designed to buy food groceries. All non-food groceries, or food designed to be eaten immediately, are not approved to buy with EBT, even essential non-food groceries.
Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Vitamins, supplements, and medicines (this includes energy drinks which are classed as supplements)
- Tobacco products
- Gambling/lottery tickets
- Personal items, such as grooming products, clothes, cosmetics, etc
- Hygiene products
- Household supplies (paper goods, cleaning products, etc)
- Hot, preprepared food and drinks (rotisserie chickens, hot coffee, etc)
As you can see, some non-food essential groceries are not covered by EBT benefits. The best way to get around this is to use your own money to buy non-food groceries, and your food stamps money to buy food and luxury food items.
The Bottom Line
It’s up to you how you spend your food stamps money. As part of a balanced diet, soda is fine, but be aware that there’s little to no nutritional value in soft drinks
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!