For many families, food stamp benefits (commonly known as SNAP) are a crucial part of the monthly budget. Of course, any governmental benefit comes with strings attached, and food stamps are no exception.
By “strings attached”, we mean rules. You can’t buy just anything with SNAP benefits. While some unapproved items are fairly obvious, like alcohol and tobacco products, there are plenty of gray areas.
Let’s find out.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table of Contents:
- Can You Buy Frozen Food with Food Stamps?
- What Can You Buy with EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy with EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Frozen Food with Food Stamps?
Yes, you can buy frozen food with food stamps. Since SNAP benefits are designed to provide nutritional assistance to households, if an item is classed as “food”, it’s covered by your food stamps benefits.
You can buy frozen items which include:
- Frozen vegetables or fruit
- Frozen meat, poultry, or seafood
- Ice cream and frozen yogurt
- Frozen ready meals, desserts, and entrees
- Ice (crushed ice, whole blocks, or cubes)
Essentially, you can buy virtually every kind of frozen, canned, or fresh food.
What Can You Buy with EBT?
EBT, or Electronic Benefits Transfer, is designed to pay for a household’s food. Here’s what you can buy with EBT:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, and seafood
- Dairy and non-dairy products
- Bread, cereals, and grains
- Nuts, beans, and legumes
- Baking ingredients
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Baby food and formula
- Non-alcoholic beverages (soda, instant coffee, and coffee beans, but not hot, preprepared coffee)
- Snack foods (ice cream, chips, etc)
You can’t overspend your EBT benefits, and any leftover benefits will roll on to the next month. It’s up to you how you choose to spend your benefits.
What Can’t You Buy with EBT?
EBT only covers food groceries, so no non-food groceries at all are covered by your EBT.
Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco products
- Gambling/lottery tickets
- Electronics, cosmetics, clothes, or other personal items
- Pet food/live animals
- Medicines, supplements, and vitamins
- Household supplies (paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc)
- Hygiene and grooming products (soap, shampoo, sanitary pads, tampons, etc)
While some unapproved items are obvious, such as alcohol and tobacco, household supplies and hygiene products are clearly necessary goods. Unfortunately, you will need to use your own money to purchase these.
The Bottom Line
Freezing food or buying frozen goods is a great way to prepare food for a family. Heating up a pre-prepared frozen meal saves time and energy, and freezing food can help with meal prep and forward planning.
It’s up to you how you spend your EBT money, and since “luxury” items (like snack food and sodas) are covered by food stamps, you can also afford to buy yourself a little treat every now and then.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!