Food stamps, which are often called SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program), can make a world of difference for low-income American families. The program is designed to give households cash benefits to buy food groceries.
However, this raises questions. What about non-food groceries? What about household supplies? Do food stamps only cover the basic foods – fruit, veg, and meat? What about pet food? Let’s find out.
NOTE: Interested in life insurance to cover final expenses like funeral and cremation costs? Or do you want to leave extra money behind to a loved one?
If so, we have access to affordable, high-quality life insurance products that:
- Is available from 0-90 years old! (in most states)
- $1,000 to $100,000+ in permanent insurance coverage (fits ANY budget)
- No medical exams necessary.
- Rates NEVER increase!
- If qualified, you may receive first-day full coverage!
- Prices are VERY affordable, and designed for people on tight budgets.
If you’re interested in getting a free no-obligation quote, please click the link here to run quotes and see which of our top-rated insurance carriers you may qualify for!
Table Of Contents:
- Can You Buy Dog food with Food Stamps?
- What Can You Buy with EBT?
- What Can’t You Buy with EBT?
- The Bottom Line
- Need Burial Insurance?
Can You Buy Dog Food With Food Stamps?
Unfortunately, you can’t buy dog food with food stamps. Buying food and supplies for your pets is hardly a frivolous expense, but food stamps are solely intended to buy food – human food.
EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer, commonly used for SNAP/food stamps) doesn’t cover pet expenses. You can’t use it to buy:
- Pet food of any kind
- Pet supplies, cages, or crates
- Animals (even cheaper pets, like hamsters and fish)
- Aquarium supplies
Of course, pets are part of our family, too. Unfortunately, you may need to rely on your own money to care for your beloved pets.
What Can You Buy With EBT?
The principle behind EBT is to provide a low-income household with the money to buy food groceries and ingredients and take those groceries to make nutritious meals.
Here’s what you can buy with EBT:
- Fruit and vegetables (you can also buy seeds to grow plants for food at home)
- Meat and poultry
- Fish and seafood (not pre-cooked seafood)
- Beans, nuts, and legumes
- Dairy products (cheese, milk, yogurt, etc)
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Baking ingredients (flour, sugar, etc)
- Snack foods (ice cream, chips, candy, etc)
Essentially, most foods that you can buy in a supermarket are covered by your EBT. It’s up to you what you choose to buy.
You can’t overspend on your EBT account. Once your balance runs out, you won’t be able to use your card for purchases until your benefits renew. Also, any leftover balance at the end of the month will roll onto the next month, so you won’t lose any unspent money.
What Can’t You Buy With EBT?
EBT doesn’t cover non-food groceries, even essential ones. It’s important not to try and buy unapproved items, as this can lead to your EBT card getting declined, or even getting your benefits suspended. At the very least, you’ll need to pay for the unapproved items later on.
Here’s what you can’t buy with EBT:
- Household supplies (like paper goods, cleaning products, etc)
- Hygiene and grooming items (sanitary pads, soap, shampoo, etc)
- Clothes, furniture, or home decor
- Vitamins, supplements, and medicines
- Pet food and supplies
- Alcoholic beverages
- Hot food, prepared food (like rotisserie chickens), or fast food
- Restaurant food
The Bottom Line
If you’re not sure whether an item is covered by your EBT money, call the customer service number on the back of your EBT card.
Fortunately, most food sold in stores will be perfectly fine to buy with your EBT card.
Need Burial Insurance?
In addition to helping people with their Direct Express, questions we help people like you qualify for quality final expense life insurance coverage that pays off your funeral and cremation expenses.
These burial insurance plans are perfect for those who are retired or disabled and on a fixed income, and want peace of mind, knowing their final expenses are covered.
Some of the benefits of these programs include:
- Rates NEVER increase like a lot of the junk mail life insurance companies you see.
- Coverage NEVER cancels due to age or health as long as you pay your premium.
- If eligible, you may qualify for first day FULL coverage with NO waiting period like many of the TV life insurance ads offer.
- Affordable premiums for those on fixed incomes.
- Plans offering immediate approval with NO health questions asked!
- Coverage available from 18 to 90 years old!
Bottom line, if you’re looking for a peace of mind, and want your family to have no burden when you pass, then these plans are for you!
Here’s how to get a free quote
Click here and we’ll get you a quote in minutes and get you the peace of mind you deserve!